Materials Selection Policy
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees on September 1, 2020
Materials are selected for inclusion in the library’s collections based on the principles expressed by the Mission and Value statements of the Nashua Public Library, the American Library Association’s (ALA) Library Bill of Rights and the ALA’s Freedom to Read Statement (see attached).
Under the supervision of the Library Director and Assistant Director our team of selectors expend available funds to build a collection of books and other materials in a variety of formats and languages that represents the broad range of interests, viewpoints, belief systems and cultural values embodied in the Nashua community. No materials are excluded or removed from the Library on the basis of the author’s race or nationality or their political, social or religious beliefs. Materials dealing with controversial views are judged as entire works, not on isolated passages or sections.
- Assistant Director assigns collection responsibilities to qualified staff
- Selection assignments are rotated regularly to insure that no individual exerts undue influence over the content of the collection
- Books and materials are chosen for our collection based upon the following criteria:
- Customers may suggest that the library purchase items the Library does not already own. Each request is reviewed and selectors are encouraged to purchase items suggested by customers when those materials meet our established
- Materials will be discarded from the collection at regular intervals when they have low circulation, are in poor condition, are no longer accurate or have been superseded by other materials or
- NPL cardholders who wish to request that an item be removed from our collection or moved to a different area may do so by completing the Request for Reconsideration form, which is available on our website or at the Information Services desk at the library.
ADOPTED by the Board of Library Trustees
David K. Pinsonneault, Secretary